Solid-state fan speed controllers must submit a UL1917 test report in order to be listed on Amazon
The solid state fan speed control range includes: UL 1917 standard covers solid state speed controllers rated at 300 volts or less, single phase, designed to connect to 15 to 20 amp branch circuits, and installed in accordance with National Electrical Code ANSI/NFPA 70 , and is used with the following devices:
a) fans and blowers that circulate air, such as desks, racks, ceilings, shelving, pedestals and utility fans;
b) fans and blowers for ventilation, such as attic, wall-mounted, ceiling-mounted, household range hoods and canopies, and sashes;
c) evaporative coolers;
d) air filters;
e) Fan-type deodorant;
f) Fan-type air fresheners.
The UL 1917 standard covers inductive and capacitive fan speed control.
The UL 1917 standard includes the solid state fan speed control portion of the controls, including dimmers used with lighting equipment.
The UL 1917 standard also includes solid-state fan speed control included with the power cord, solid-state fan speed control for permanently attached, and direct plug-in devices.
The UL 1917 standard does not cover solid-state speed control for use with air heaters incorporating fans, heating ventilators, or blowers that include components of equipment such as electric furnaces, mechanical refrigeration equipment, air conditioners, or DC output equipment.
The UL 1917 standard does not cover solid state speed control for fans used for:
a) For use in hazardous locations as defined in the National Electrical Code ANSI/NFPA 70;
b) installed on solvents or chemically flammable liquids or vapors;
c) in a chemically corrosive environment.
Documents Required for UL 1917 Test Report for Solid State Fan Speed Controllers
1. Product Name: Provide the full name of the product
2. Product model: List all the product models , varieties or classification numbers required for the experiment in detail .
3. Product nameplate: including product model, electrical parameters, manufacturer information, production date, UL logo.
4. The intended use of the product: Assumptions: home appliances/commercial, indoor/outdoor, etc.
5. Parts list: List the parts and models (file numbers), rated values, and manufacturers that make up the product in detail.
6. Electrical properties: for electronic and electrical products. Provide electrical schematics (circuit diagrams), PCBLAYOUT
7. Structure diagram: For most products, the structure diagram or exploded diagram, ingredient list, etc. of the product should be provided.
8. Product instruction manual and installation manual, etc.
9. UL special application form corresponding to a specific product